As I look back during these 18 months of ministry with you, here are a few things that occurred during our time together (not necessarily in chronological order):
1. Masking is no longer required when in the building and during worship.
2. Wine is permitted to be used during the Eucharist. Still aware of the presence of COVID19, individual cups and pouring chalices are introduced to the congregation to receive the wine at communion.
3. St. David’s participates in collaborative conversations with St. John’s, Charlotte and Trinity, Grand Ledge. Three meetings are held over a period of six months convened by Canon Alan James.
4. St. David’s members join with members of Trinity for a vespers service and pancake dinner on Shrove Tuesday.
5. St. David’s members are on the local tv news discussing 2021 Christmas Eve worship during the Pandemic (twice).
6. Participation with Trinity in a prayer service for Ukraine.
7. Participation with Trinity in a prayer service to end gun violence.
8. Discernment team releases a comprehensive overview of St. David’s and what members indicate as a priority for ministry in the congregation.
9. Vestry leadership change in 2023 with Bill Paff (Senior Warden), Ron Leix (Junior Warden) and Roger Fowler fulfilling their terms. Mary Pfeiffer is elected to serve an unexpired term (2022). Elected for 2023 are Becky Mason (Senior Warden), Carol Abbott (Junior Warden), Jennifer Cronkite, Andi Flitton, and Darr Summers.
10. Web Site and Voice Mail are updated.
11. There were four funerals and one baptism (next week).
12. Special Mid-Week Presentations for Lent and Advent included: Conversations with the Diocesan Staff and Clergy, Dealing with Change and a Video Study on Revelation.
13. New Allen Organ purchased.
14. Roof Top Heating Unit replaced.
15. Team Night Established.
16. Tuesday Night Lectionary Study
17. Stephanie Cote and John Runcie are discerning a call to the ordained priesthood.
18. Paul Dombroske, St. David’s Director of Music resigns and finishes his tenure at end of 2022.
19. Discernment team is placed on hiatus until Vestry can determine salary for next priest.
20. Canon Alan James accepts a call to Chicago, IL. He joins us for our congregational meeting before completing his time with the Diocese at the end of January.
21. St. David’s is introduced to Canon Tracie Little, Palm Sunday 2023. Canon Tracie will replace Canon James overseeing the congregations in the Southern Conference.
22. New welcoming banners are placed outside.
23. 2022 Christmas Eve and 2023 Ash Wednesday services are cancelled due to ice and snow.
24. Friday communion services are discontinued.
25. Updates and improvements to the rectory are completed.
26. New refrigerator is purchased for the church kitchen.
27. Monthly Sunday breakfasts return.
28. The Rev. Carol Spangenberg is recognized for her eleven years of ministry at St. David’s and given a farewell celebration at the end of April.
29. Easter Sunday brings the announcement that seminarian Joseph Kennedy has accepted a call to St. David’s and will begin July 1. He and his family will be moving into the rectory in the upcoming week.
30. The love of God and the gift of the Holy Spirit continues to bless the St. David’s community!
I am sure there are items that I have missed. But this gives you a good overview of what happens with a congregation in an 18-month span of time. Even with the ups and downs of church life, God has been good all the time!
Blessed Easter Season to you all!
In His love,